As of July 2007, the official course material book on Ethical Hacking is going for $5 on Amazon. The cover price is $70 in the US and over $100 in Canada. This should tell you a lot about what people feel about this book.
The hate for this book is so profound that it makes me laugh.
Here are a few comments:
“I know this has been said but it really needs emphasis. This is perhaps the most poorly written and presented compilation of misinformation I have seen since the 5th grade.”
“If the author of this book isn’t going to take the time to correct the misspellings and grammar issues, that speaks volumes about the quality of the content.”
” The EC-Council has a great CUT and Paste method of publishing a book, they don’t even list the Author.”
“I agree with all the negative comments. This book is poorly written.”
It touches on all of the modules of the test, its just that there are so many issues with the way it is put together. Its almost as if the EC Council had a week to put something together so they gathered all there slides and copied and pasted them in this book then expanded on each slide.
One of the Amazon readers put it well:
Here are a few notable indicators of the quality of the book:
* There is no reference section or bibliography and there are only a couple references made to outside works. Most of which is the legislation they quote and a couple quotes from notable manufacturers.
* They do not cite any of their quotes correctly. The closest they get is, “A quote from the Internet says…” or “(Reference: Cryptography FAQs published on the World Wide Web)” No web site, date or proper credit is ever given. I’m suprised they actually listed the URLs for the tools they discuss.
* The table of contents is very high level, there is no table of figures, or table of tables. There is also no index or list of terms.
* They attempt to redefine established industry terms in their own style, often incorrectly or in contradiction to earlier statements.
* As noted in previous reviews, grammar, spelling and typos are prevalent throughout the book. Most notably is the pres ence of sp aces in the midd le of wo rds.
When course material is this bad, it is very hard to take the certification seriously.