Our mobile devices are becoming and extensions of ourselves. According to research by research by Morgan Stanley, mobile transactions is set to explode in the few years (2014 UP). This is due to the rise of mobile technology which will overtake the desktop in 2014. Even as I write this.. I know that these words are already becoming obsolete. But the time you read this it will have already happened.
It is more important than ever to protect our data and privacy on our mobile devices. Here are a few tips on how you can.
cell phone privacy
1. Remove the Subscriber Identity Module/ SIM card – The SIM card does not store photos, address information (not yet anyway). But it does contain information needed to access your cell network data. As well as text messages, phone contacts with related information like names and numbers and addresses you attached to your contacts, history of calls (dates and times). It can also contain important data regarding your location. All of this vital information makes it great for police investigations and forensics, but can also be used to get information that you believe should be private.
a pic of cell phone sim slot
With your subscriber identity module (SIM), anyone can can get your information even without your phone. They can plug it into the applicable phone and access your data as if they are you. If you truly want to make sure no one gets transactions that you have made on your mobile device, you should take out the SIM card. If your data is truly valuable (more valuable than your phone), then take out the SIM and put it in your wallet. Lastly, the SIM itself has a PIN code you can put in.
use cell phone privacy lock screen-pin
2. Phone security code – Whether its Android Screen Lock or iPhone Passcode, this should be a “no brainer” but is so easy to NOT do because you don’t want to go through the hassle of tapping the PIN code while driving (which you should NEVER do). But just imagine leaving your cell phone somewhere then suddenly realizing that not ONLY have you lost your phone, but that phone has direct access into your email account and the phone has NO security code. Create a phone security code to prevent anyone from spying your phone.
cell phone privacy history martin cooper
3. Delete history – Do you really NEED your history? Someone else might, so its best to clean it up often. Delete call logs, SMS logs, SKYPE logs, oovoo, viber, imessage, snapchat, every like of log you can think of. Delete old pictures, emails everything. If you don’t need it, delete it. In fact, if you can, turn off the history so it does not store anything.
cell phone privacy and pattern-lock
4. No automatic email log in – I know its convenient, but if you don’t have constant control over your phone, its best NOT to allow it to automatically access your accounts. If you MUST have automatic access, make sure you have Auto Lock on your screen and a passcode.
5. Auto-Lock/Screen Lock – Pin codes, passcodes and screen locks are not as effective if you don’t have your phone automatically lock after a certain number of minutes. I suggest 5 minutes. But its up to you.
If you have a mobile device, you realize how powerful it can be. The more you rely on these devices the more you need to be aware of protecting your data on them. Here are 6 quick tips to protect you mobile device:
1. Separate phone / SIM card – A separate phone / SIM card helps you keep your privacy on personal matters. Use a separate phone or SIM for work, home or for your personal business. Keeping it separate helps keep all transactions on a specific device.
2. Mobile device security code – creating a phone security code prevent anyone from spying your phone by just picking it up and tapping a button.
use cell phone privacy lock screen-pin
3 . Delete history – You mobile device saves and tracks all transactions by default. So if someone got access to the it, they could see everyone you contacted back to the first day you activated the device. Deleting phone calls and messages remedy that some what.
4. Keypad lock – You must have your keypad automatically lock after a short period of inactivity just in case you set your device down and forget to lock it manually. The shorter the time you set (ex:5 seconds) the better.
5. SIM card code – for confidential contacts, setting a code into your SIM card is a must.
6. No automatic email log in – do not set your emails into automatic log-in so people cannot trace your personal info by merely picking up your phone.
Mobile devices with links in to social media, personal email accounts, contacts, and transactions can give someone immediate access into all aspects of your personal life. Its important you implement some or all of these tips if you want to maintain some of your privacy.
Computer Security, Computer Security/Home Computer Security, Computer Security/Home Computer Security/Home Computer , Internet and Information Technology Security, Main Digg, mobile, personal computer security, Privacy, security, Security Awareness, Security Awareness/ISSA
Gmail is one of my favorite email products. Its free, its extremely good at collecting and organizing data (in-line with google’s vision of world information organization domination) and its so intuitive.
The gmail security features are kind of tucked away to bring the organization and search functions to the foreground. But once you know where they are, its easy.
1. First, browse into your email and sign in.
2. Inside your email under your name, click privacy.
3. Under Account Privacy, hit Security and add alternate recovery email and mobile number. This will allow gmail security to alert you of any suspicious activity such as someone attempting to access your account.
Is it possible to locate and/or track someone by their mobile phone? Yes.
How and Why is it Possible to Locate Someone by Mobile Phone?
The FCC mandated the implementation of enhanced 911, E911, for wireless services (Dec 2005). This regulation required that all cell phone carriers provide the capability to trace cell phone calls to within 100 meters or less of their location. Cell phone carriers place GPS technology into the handsets of the cell phone. Most cell phones do not allow direct access to the GPS network; you have to go through the cell phone carrier, another tracking service, or as a result of a 911 call or other emergency. Thanks to the E911 FCC regulations, the authorities can track someone who does not have a GPS enabled cell phone and subscription to the GPS data via their cell phone carrier
How Can You Locate Someone By Mobile Phone?
prerequisites: (unless you have access to 911 emergency systems) the mobile phone you are trying to locate must be GPS enabled and be subscribed to a GPS data plan
Register the GPS subscribed phone with a location based services (LBS). These are carrier or website services that will give you an interface to locate the mobile phone.
Location Based Services:
Mapquest Find Me (Sprint/Nextel)
Sprint’s Mobile Locator
Wherifone (for tracking your kid by their mobile phone)
Do more with LBS: http://www.lbszone.com/
So basically, you can be tracked at all times if you have a cell phone. This raises serious privacy concerns especially since the potential for abuse of LBS is huge. What if someone does not wish to be found? There are also some security/safety concerns to consider: What if someone was recently placed on a witness protection program? Allowing such easy access to their currently location could get them killed. Consider some of the “crazies” out there that want to stalk and/or exact some sort of sick plan on a specific person. Furthermore, can we trust a government (ANY government) to protect each citizens rights to privacy?
Before you attempt locate someone vie their mobile phone you should consider their privacy.
On 6/15/10, Texaco Mobile wrote:
Technical Office Chevron Global Lubricants
43/45 The Promenade …
Head Office Chevron Global Lubricants
43/45 The Promenade Cheltenham
TEXACO MOBILE AWARD CLAIMS VERIFICATION FORM
I am Mr Larry Gray the MD Texaco oil,assigned to all winners payment file. I wish to Congratulate you for emerging as one of the 2010 mobile winners of this Great promotions the winning information presentated by you are correct. To begin your claims process, below is the claims verification form,you are required to fill and forward the form to help facilitate the processing and release of your winning prize of 750,000.00GBP (SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND GREAT BRITAIN POUNDS)
The draws registered as Draw number one was conducted in Washington, United State Of America . These Draws are commemorative and as such special.You are advised to keep your winning information strictly confidential to avoid impersonation or double claims. You must adhere to this instruction, strictly, to avoid any delay with the release of your funds to you. This program has been abused severally in past, so we are doing our best to forestall further occurrence of false claims with this,we advice that you keep all information about this prize confidential until your funds have been received by you.
As indicated in our play coupon,your ticket number has fallen within our European representative in London Mr John Williams and your winning check is presently in his care.You are hereby requested to fill and forward this form to him via email attachment: email@example.com and Tel: +447017038426 .You are requested to follow every instructions from John Willaims.
CLAIMS FORM,FILL AND FORWARD TO JOHN WILLAIMS TO THE RELEASE OF YOUR PRIZE.
Prefix (Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., etc.):
Suffix (Sr., Jr., II, III, etc.):
Date of birth (yyyy-mm-dd):
Total Amount Won:
Lotto Batch Number:
Lotto Reference Numbers
Preferred address for correspondence:
Home address and phone
Internet at home
Employment and business
Internet at work
Congratulations once again,
MD Texaco Promotion Award Team
Washington, United State Of America
I have recieved a sms in my mobile saying I have won 500,000.00 GB POUNDS.I wanted to know how can i recieve this money.For this I have to fulfill three documents as requested by the bank.For this I need the proof of winning(the certificate of award) and a copy of fund release order.I wish to recieve these as soon as possible.I have contacted Mr.Mark Davies who is the director of operations.His contact number is +44 (871) 2344303,fax number:+44 (700) 5942618
I qwish to recieve an reply for this.
Anoop Kumar OK